The Yavapai County Arizona Centennial logo was approved by the Yavapai County Arizona Centennial Committee on July 27, 2009, following an approximately three-week period during which the public could log on to www.yavapai100az.org and vote for one of three logos (only one vote was allowed from each computer). Of the 802 votes cast, the winning logo was chosen by 43.64% of those who voted.
The logo includes the Arizona flag as background. The flag is comprised of blue and yellow, the Arizona colors, as well as red and yellow to represent the Spanish conquistadores who first came to Arizona in 1540. The copper star symbolizes Arizona as the largest producer of copper in the United States. The Arizona flag was designed by Charles W. Harris and first sewn by Nan D. Hayden. On the logo, the Centennial years of 1912 to 2012 run through the center of the flag.
The logo includes the current shape of Yavapai County and the words “Mother of Counties.” The term “Mother of Counties” stems from the fact that Yavapai County was one of four original counties (see below) designated by the First Territorial Legislature and the counties of Apache, Coconino, Gila, Maricopa and Navajo were later carved out of Yavapai County. For more information about Arizona’s county boundaries from 1864 through 1983, see the Historical Atlas of Arizona, Second Edition by Henry P. Walker and Don Bufkin, University of Oklahoma Press, 1986.
The logo also includes an image of the Captain O’Neill Rough Rider Monument on the Yavapai County Courthouse Plaza that is fondly known to many simply as “Buckey.” Visit the Sharlot Hall Museum website for information about the Captain O’Neill Rough Rider Monument .
Hover over the image below to see the current county borders.